Chemical Exfoliation and Peels
Commonly Asked Questions:
What are the results from a chemical peel treatment?
After a treatment you can expect to see a fresh, smooth, even and healthy tone to your skin. Advanced chemical peel treatments may soften fine lines, clear imperfections and lighten hyperpigmentation. The results of the treatment are also determined by the home care products you use.
Can I still have a chemical peel treatment if I am taking a prescription medication?
Chemical peel treatments are not recommended while on certain types of medications. Ask us during your consultation if a chemical exfoliation treatment is right for you.
How many treatments do I need and how often?
We will guide you through a program that consists of two chemical peel treatments and home care products suitable for your specific concerns.
Will I experience skin sloughing (or “peeling”)?
The amount of sloughing you will experience varies depending on the chemical exfoliation treatment performed, the home care products you use and your skin condition. The amount of peeling you observe is not an indication of the effectiveness of the treatment.
Will the treatment be painful?
You may experience different sensations during the treatment ranging from slight tingling to the feeling of hot skin. We may offer you a fan to subside these sensations.
Post Chemical Peel Care:
What to expect following a chemical peel treatment?
- Your skin may look and feel dry, tight and appear slightly red
- If you experience discomfort, swelling or excessive irritation, contact us
- Swelling may naturally occur as the skin’s tissue has been disturbed. The application of cool compress within the first 24 hours may be helpful.
- You may experience mild to moderate skin sloughing 3 to 7 days following a chemical peel treatment
Post exfoliation recommendations:
- Use the recommended skin care products following your treatment
- Discontinue use of alpha/beta hydroxy acids and retinols immediately following your treatment
- Do not use harsh scrubs or abrasive loofahs following your treatment. Gentle cleansers such as the Skin Tx Gentle Cleanser are ideal to use 3 to 4 days post treatment
- Avoid direct sun exposure and wear a sunscreen daily.
- Avoid vigorous activity, swimming and hot showers, especially in the first 24 hours following the chemical exfoliation treatment
- Do not pick or peel the skin as this may cause hyperpigmentation and/or surface scars